According to a new research report release by the American Institute for Cancer Research and the Britain-based World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), your risk of cancer is increased with obesity. Obesity is now linked to six types of cancer, five more than its last report, 10 years ago.
The report, an analysis by scientists from around the world of more than 7,000 studies, offers 10 recommendations to help prevent cancer. They include staying lean, getting at least 30 minutes of exercise daily, limiting your intake of red meat and alcohol, and avoiding processed meats.
Factors such as birth weight, childbearing, breast-feeding, and adult height and weight also influence cancer risk.
So what types of cancer are linked to obesity? The analysis of the studies found a definite link between excess fat and cancers of the esophagus, pancreas, colon and rectum, endometrium, kidney as well as breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
This report really reinforces the connection between being overweight or obese and the increased risk of many, if not all, cancers.
The basic recommendations from the panel are:
- Body Fatness: Be as lean as possible within the normal range of body weight.
- Physical Activity: Be physically active part of everyday life.
- Foods and Drinks That Promote Weight Gain: Limit consumption of energy-dense foods and avoid sugary drinks.
- Plant Foods: Eat mostly foods of plant origin.
- Animal Foods: Limit intake of red meat and avoid processed meat.
- Alcoholic Drinks: Limit alcoholic drinks.
- Preservation, Processing, Preparation: Limit consumption of salt and avoid mouldy cereals (grains) or pulses (legumes).
- Dietary Supplements: Aim to meet nutritional needs through diet alone.
To read the full report, visit the American Institute for Cancer Research. This 500+ page report is packed with research report, summary and recommendations.
>>> Sign up for FREE monthly e-Newsletter to receive insider training tips, workout routines and check out your FREE bonus e-books to help you build muscles, lose fat and uncover your six pack abs.